Datamedia and different Formats
Which file format shall I choose?
The data needed for manufacturing rapid prototypes are the same for all methods e.g. STL-files. However towards most file format that exists on the market is accepted. If you are unsecure or new customer you are always welcome to discuss this with our personnel on Data department.
The following data media is accepted
- E-mail See “Contact us” for addresses. Prefered if you compress the files with PKZIP or WINZIP. (If you have any other compression software it is no problem).
- FTP Call us before for Password and Login routines. We can supply you with a FTP-client (Software).
- Engdat/Odette Call us before so we can set up Your profile.
- CD-ROM /CD-RW
- 4mm DAT Tape for DDS standard in TAR or CPIO(UNIX). Format. 40 Gb.
Comparison chart for our different RP methods
And the following formats
- .STL Stereolitography file which consists of facet surfaces. The tolerance for this type is the cordheight e.g. The distance between the facetplane and the real surface. We normaly try to keep this tolerance whithin 0.01mm. The format is binary.
- .IGS IGES file. This format consists of curves and surfaces. From many CAD systems we prefer this format since the STL interface in those systems does not create efficient data.
- .VDA/FS VDA file. This format is used specially for the automotive industry and is developed for the same.
- .XMT/.XMB Parasolids file. This format is used by all Parasolids based solid modeling-systems like Unigraphics, SolidWorks, Solidedge, Microstation etc.
- .SAT ACIS file. This format is used by all ACIS based solidmodeling-systems like Autodesks products, IronCad, Solid Designer and early Microstation and Solidedge.
- .STP/.STEP STEP file. This format is probably going to replace IGES as the standard interface for the CAD industry. Furthermore it is a more complete and modern interface than IGES.
- .EXP/.MODEL Catia V4 export and native modell format. Both exact-solids and Surface-modells.